Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Making Progress.....




Well after getting some guidance from my father-in-law on trying to match the curvature of the framing we were able to get close and I was able to get the new wood in place....


A little before and after shot here...I finally got the floor in and I added more stability to the frame by putting in 2 more 2 X 3 to give the floor some much needed added strength. I have watched many videos on restoration and everyone of them are amazed at how poorly these trailers were built and you can add me to the list. I'm amazed at how bad this one was built...very little framing and what there is of this trailer is only being held by staples, no glue, nails or screws of any kind can be found and the least amount of insulation they could get away with. So I added some more framing and also took some very thin tin and stapled them in to the frame to give added strength.






So you can see the difference in the stability of the framing...much of the frame was as much as an inch away from the place it started and was hanging on by the end of one of the staples....how this stayed together I will never know. So I went ahead and where I could, I placed a screw and as you can see added many of those little tin pieces with my staple gun and what a difference it made. The floor came together nicely even though on both edges toward the back the frame is a little bent and made it hard to get the bolts in there. So this next week I hope to get the rest of the framing in the back done and them replace the rest of the floor. So till next time........

2 comments:

  1. Awesome job...a true labor of love! Looking forward to more progress reports and photos :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your San Gabriel wouldn't by chance still have the San Gabriel logo on the outside would it? If so could I get a pic of that sent to my email? I'm restoring a 1956 San Gabriel and I'd love to be able to recreate the logo.

    ReplyDelete